Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Music

Awesome albums I've picked up recently that I really have missed out by not having from the very day they were released:

Modest Mouse, Lonesome Crowded West.   Inspired by hearing a song in the car with my old roommate while on vacation, and upon asking who it was, was told.   Apparently they used to not suck.   Really, really not suck.   Wow.

REM, Lifes Rich Pageant.   Randomly heard "Begin the Begin" on the radio, realized it was REM, and that it was very good, and immediately bought the album.    The only old REM I have is Eponymous.  I should get more.  This isn't the first time I wish I went to college in the early 80s. 

Zolof the Rock and Roll Destroyer, Jalopy Go Far.    I already had half this album in the form of tracks on mixtapes from F.   It was high time I made a commitment.   Great, great happy girl guitar pop.

Neutral Milk Hotel,   In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.   This album's holy writ in indie circles.   I don't know if it's the second coming I expected, but it's really good.   Like the skinny lady from Happiness said about the other lady whose name I forget in The Anniversary Party, "she's so fucking serene."   NMH appear to be quite fucking serene, but I could use a little serenity in my life. 

2 comments:

ml said...

skinny lady from happiness: not parker posey, i believe she is anything but serene, but highly entertaining

seppaku said...

I'm glad you liked the Lonesome Crowded West. You should check out This is a long drive for someone with nothing to talk about, which some consider to be Modest Mouse's best album. Interstate 8 is also worth a listen.

Oh, and I meant to gush to you when you were here - I LOVE THE THERMALS!

That is all.