Thursday, July 3, 2008

Shooting

A dude was shot thrice in the belly near my apartment the other night.
I only know because he's a blogger. He survived, but it's scary:
I'm a few blocks from 17th and Euclid, which is the shithole corner
where it happened. Right up the street from the new Harris
Teeter...

I generally don't have much regard for "safety" as such when I'm by
myself. Either I'm foolhardy or I have good intuition; I'm not sure
which. I've lived in cities-with-muggings since I've been 17 and
never been mugged, despite being the sort of person who is out late a
lot, quite often inebriated as well. A friend suggested it's because
I'm larger than average, which I think is bullshit.

It's July 4th weekend. Cricket is in Boston for a bachelorette
party. I'm gonna work work work, although there might be drinkies
tomorrow night; some suburban friends of mine are going to the
fireworks and want to drink the pain away afterward, the pain of
course being sitting on the National Mall with 100,000 people for
eight hours. On Saturday a fellow from my Boston years is having a
barbecue with his wife in Arlington. Should I go? It could be a
welcome social event, or a dull bear-trap!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT'S a bear trap? that's creepy about the dude near your apartment - is that between your house and the metro stop that i took when i first arrived in DC to visit you whenever it was that i came to visit?

Anonymous said...

A bear trap is a party that you realize sucks the second you arrive, but you have social obligation to stay several hours.

The corner was on the far side of my house from the Metro. You were always safe!